Thinking of writing a book on the obstacles I have faced and am facing as someone who is trying to go out on his own. Any advice, suggestions or insights?
Do Not Listen to the hyperbole the two comments below me, or stating... Start w/ an outline (basic) and then get into Chapter Titles... Research, and Write down relevant content to learn down, and focus on that chapter alone for an entire week... You should have enough content now, that you creatively put your spin on it, and move on to Chapter 2 + title for the following week, and so on, until your book is basically complete, just proofread again and again, until satisfied... I cannot stress enough that your Book Title is Critical in Sales of your books, as well as One Little Secret that I do not wish to disclose in this forum, as it will change a book into a NYT best seller within days... Read Launch, by Jeff Walker, excellent place to start! Hope this helps... and you have the 99% inside of you, so leave the naysayers in the wind... Jonathon :) www.DoTheSheets.com / Check this out! Get in touch, message box on Contact Page, please all reviews are welcomed... Shout it out, and let's Rock 2017!
It's a very crowded market place. "Zigging when others are Zagging", "The Idea in You", "Tales of startups early days", "The Lean Startup", Alan Sugar's autobiography, Richard Branson's autobiography all spring to mind. I may have misremembered some of the book titles but the message is: Think about what your unique story is and what the lessons are, how your book would stand out, and why someone should read it over these others listed. For most people reading a book is a big time commitment - it had better be worth it either for entertainment or educational value.
I would recommend a blog instead - chronicle the journey. Get people to follow that and comment. Blogs can provide good fodder for books, but be aware that writing a book is a time consuming and it can be expensive endeavor unless you are Tom Clancy.
I just finished an allegorical business novel. I chose to write my story as fiction. I am going to be launching a Kickstarter campaign soon to raise the money needed to market the books. I have a publisher, but nearly all authors will tell you that you must be prepared to do the marketing yourself.
I wrote a book and published it on Amazon in 30 days only. Means, I have done it pretty quickly, my book was number one best seller for 2 weeks and here are my advice:
- Don't spend too much time on writing a book.
- You need to work with a few software for creating an Amazon book format, layout and design the front page.
- Your title and the graphic design is very important
- Roll your book out and publish it before even is perfect to see the result and reaction, you can always rewrite your book or delete and write a new one. The experience is the most important.
- Use amazon 3 month program and offer your book for free for 3 month to see if people like it and also it help with marketing.
- Don't expect make money by writing a book, and don't expect that people who like your book try to support you and help you out.
- In my opinion, an author can be successful if he/she can get attention from well-known media, TV, magazine and so on
Go for it!