I started and helped run eHarmony's publishing business. In two years we went from nothing to running 5 ad supported sites with over 1B ad impressions a month. I also ran a brand called Jazzed for eHarmony with a $4M marketing budget so i have been both on the buy side and sell side of ad product and ad network decisions.
Questions the Publisher Will Have:
- What brands are advertising in your network? Do I respect them?
- How do you protect me from malware, phishing and other malicious elements
- Is my revenue guaranteed?
- What are your pricing tiers? (ex. remnant vs targeted)
- What data or services can I provide to make more money?
- How much volume can you fill?
- How do you allocate campaigns and ads throughout your system? What would get me a "preferred" status?
- Do you fill above and below the fold?
- What ad units should I be able to accommodate?
- What targeting do you offer to advertisers?
- What reporting do you have? Is it real time or near real time?
- Can I quickly block offensive ads? Are ads manually screened for appropriateness?
Questions Advertisers Have:
- Can I pay on a CPA?
- Can you guarantee me above the fold placements?
- What targeting options do you offer?
- Can I control what sites my brand appears on? How many sites are in your network? What is the complete list?
- Can I control what content my brand appears on?
- Can I control what other brands appear with my ads?
- Do you offer unique sizes or tech with higher than avg performance?
- Can I quickly turn off or optimized underperforming campaigns? How do you help me track success.
- What reporting do you offer?
- If something is working can I get more inventory right away?
I hope this is enough to be useful. As you can see the themes are money, optimization, brand protection, reporting and flexibility. Good luck!