Thanks very much to everyone for taking the time to share your thoughtful advice. I neglected to mention that we have won a business plan competition, and have applications out for funding through Gov't of Canada grants (both received in CAD).
Based on feedback and further research I intend to take the following course of action (subject to further comment):
1) Fix investment currency in USD (thanks @Arthur
2) Issue shares in USD valuation both now, and looking ahead in order to appeal to broader investment base for Series A,
3) To the extent possible use investment received in USD to build the product as spend is in USD,
4) To the extent possible use funding from competitions and grants received in CAD for operating expenses incurred in CAD,
5) When not possible to match currency with liability, determine whether the company or the investor shall bear the currency cost (currently the entire investment is going to build the product, so not an issue),
6) Become accustomed to thinking in both currencies, but specifically USD(thanks @Ian
Thanks again everyone. I trulyappreciatethe feedback.